Sunday, August 4, 2013

Baby Steps

Have you ever dreamt you were in your underpants and half naked at work or at school?  I have heard about how people feel  completely exposed and embarrassed even after they wake up from this nightmare.   


By writing this blog, this is my showing my underpants to the whole world.  Don't worry, I mean it figuratively and not literally! You will never ever see me like that.  lol.  You will see parts of my messy house though.  You will see parts of my house only my family sees and has to live with every day. By writing this blog, it is what holds me accountable to myself as well as to anyone who reads this.

This weekend I didn't have as monumental success as I had hoped. I did however, take baby steps toward being cleaned out. I took a few hours to work a couple of my kitchen cupboards.  Here are some before and after pictures. It feels better just to get started. 

                                       Corner cupboard before.
                                        Corner cupboard after.
Main cupboard before
                                          Main cupboard after!

I was a success in a couple of other small areas this weekend. I went shopping for a few things and didn't make any impulse purchases. I stuck with my list. I'll admit I did look at yarn and crafting magazines but I didn't buy.  For me that is huge!  I know most of my faults and fully admit to them. I am an impulse buyer. My main excuse is:  "Oh, it's just $5 magazine what will it hurt? "  Well, each time I spend  just $5, it all adds up. Twenty $5 bills adds up to $100.  What could I do with $100?  Lots of things! 

My husband and I took a few minutes to go through some of his clothes. It made a big dent in our closet space. It was really nice working with him on it. We finished in 15 minutes. Really. When I look a round and see all of the things that might take 15 minutes of my time and how I walk past them many times throughout the day. Why? Is it laziness?  Am I  just too busy? I believe a little bit of both. Going through Carl's clothes encouraged me to get to work on my own. It took me a bit longer,but I now have a pretty big pile to go to Goodwill and a big bag of rags for the garage. And my clothes are organized!

My method of cleaning out is a bit disorganized right now. I worked on the kitchen cupboards and then go to my closet. Not the best way to work. But it does feel good to get little bits here and there organized. So I will try not to get distracted and focus on the task at hand then move to the next area that needs work.

Years ago I would have been really hard on myself for not making the most of my day. Looking back, I wish I had been kinder to my younger self. Beating myself up for things left undone never accomplished anything. By doing that, it only hurt my desire to do more or even try. I would doubt myself and give up. I would tell myself that I am a lousy housekeeper ( and a lousy person) and say some pretty rotten things about myself.  Why?  I had more of a need for perfection back then. It took me a very long time to realize I will never be perfect. Only God is perfect. I am a flawed human being. We all are flawed in one way or another. 
 I hope I am getting wiser with age. Today I am happy I got a few small tasks completed. I can always do a bit more tomorrow. And a bit more the day after that. It took a long time to get myself into this mess, I'm sure it will take me a while to get out of it too.  I'll start with baby steps. 

What can you get accomplished this week? Even if you get one thing done today count that as a victory! It is better than not doing anything. The saying "slow and steady wins the race" is very true.  I'm not expecting  complete perfection for myself anymore. Getting one or two little things will add up in time. 
You can do it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment