Thursday, August 1, 2013

Today our new adventure begins! In order to simplify our lives, I am going to change the way I think about myself in many ways. My goal is to clear out the clutter in our lives. Not only the physical clutter, but the emotional, and mental clutter that holds me back from living  my life to the fullest. My plan is to work on changing for a year~ August 1, 2013 to July 31, 2014.
The things I hope to achieve are:
1) Money:  Work out a budget plan and stick to it, find ways to tighten our belts so we can become debt-free and pay toward our daughter's college costs. Save for the things we need as well as have an actual savings plan.
2) Food:  Work out a menu plan and stick to it. As well as eat healthier.
3) Simplify and Being Frugal :   Clean out and not bring in anymore more 'stuff.' Use things up or find an alternative purpose for them.
4) Hobbies: I will not bring any more sewing/craft projects into the house until I finish what I have on hand.

Last but not least is the most important of all.
5) Family:  Make time for my family, cherish our time together and make sure they know I love them both with all my heart.


I have been thinking a lot about my grandparents lately. They lived through the depression era. They made due with what they had. And were happy and content with their lives.They were generous to a fault. Time back then seemed to go at a slower pace. Things got accomplished. Grandma kept an immaculate house. She canned and froze  fruits and veggies from her garden. They had one car.  Trips to the grocery store  were made only once a week.  Granddad was always fixing something or coming up with another use for it. They had all that they needed and didn't seem to long for more.

What has changed in the world since then ? Many people seem to spend so much time and money stuffing themselves and their houses. I am guilty of stuffing myself as well as my home. What led me to this point?  Why do I constantly bring things into the house that I intend on doing something with but never get to?

I could play the blame game and place the blame in a variety of places. My parents, my generation, the culture, I'm just too busy, etc. When it simply comes down to me. I let myself get to this place. I need to roll up my sleeves and get to work on fixing it.

My two steps for this first part of my journey are to work on cleaning up areas that really  need it and adding to my yard sale pile.  Today I hope to clean out my kitchen cupboards. Hopefully I'll find a few yard sale items in all that.
 Here's to an amazing and productive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment